Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Trails That Aren't There

I don't remember where I saw the quote, or maybe I heard it somewhere; "The best trail to take is the one that's not there." This quote resonates in my head each time I head out into the wilderness. Think about what it says and it really pertains to much more in life than just the outdoors.

Let's take that quote and the outdoors.  Have you ever been on a hiking trail, looked over at the next peak and wonder what it looks like up close? The best word to describe this quote...Explore! Think about it, starting with the settlers that first stepped onto this soil.....no trails, no roads, no direction. They had to make that first trail and explore.


If you don't get off the beaten trail you'll never know what's over there. I suppose why most people stick to the trail is because of the unknown. Fear hinders many, but I like to use fear as an adrenaline mechanism to push myself to explore....it's a rush!

"The best trail to take is the one that's not there" is so apropos to careers and life itself. Bill Gates blazed a new trail, as did Steve Jobs. One of the newest trail blazers, Mark Zuckerberg. If you look, the majority of the most successful people are the ones that went "off the trail." In my lifetime, I've witnessed more times than not, you are rewarded when you cut that new trail.

 Get your bearings, study the terrain, get out of your comfort zone and STEP OFF THE TRAIL.

You'll be glad you did.









No comments:

Post a Comment