Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Your Majesty.....The Mountain That Is.

What is so inspiring about mountains? They have been written about, lyrics of songs have focused on mountains and movies have been based on mountains. Is it the shear beauty? Or is it the dominant presence of a mountain? I suppose there are many answers, different to each that is describing them.

I have a place in  the Adirondack Mountains. The oldest mountains in North America. If you ride up Rte. 87 you will see a sign "America's Most Scenic Highway". Beauty unmatched in the Fall with the changing colors of the trees. The Adirondacks are majestic, yet different then let's say, the Rockies out west.

The impressive peaks, jagged edges and snow capped mountains are equally as beautiful. I think of the Rockies as rugged, filled with golden aspens and endless spruce trees. If you have ever hiked or hunted in the Rockies you will relate to this. I would be standing on a ridge looking out to another point on the far side of the valley and say to myself, "No problem, that won't take long to get over there". Silly me, 3-4 hours later I'm there.The vastness of the Rockies is unmatched.


I can hear my buddy saying, you haven't seen mountains until you have seen the Alps! Another says, wait until you see the Northern Rockies in Vancouver sloping down into the Pacific Ocean. Both views, I'm sure are equally majestic.

However you spend your time on the mountains, hiking, hunting, fishing, camping and enjoying all that it has to give, take a minute and thank Your Majesty.... the Mountain That Is.






6 comments:

  1. You're right. The mountains are gorgeous. During my first year of college, I went to California, and was so inspired by being atop a mountain for the first time in my life. It was breathtaking. Recently, mountains have reminded me of a more sad thought, as an acquaintance of mine passed away when falling off of one. Something like that really hits hard, but the mountains are indeed majestic.

    -ContactKrystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that about your friend. Your friend must have loved the mountains also, a nice tribute would be to hike that mountain and say hello to your friend.

      Delete
  2. Well written and so true. I grew up hiking on the Appalachian Trail so I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you have an absolutely beautiful view through all the seasons. I've spent a time in the Catskills, but it seems like it doesn't even compare to the beauty of the Appalachian Mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Alice, the fall is something special here on the east coast, almost as if the mountains turn into a huge pot of mumms, if you know what I mean.

      Delete