Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Campfire Hypnosis

I was looking through some photos of past trips this weekend and wanted to share a topic with you that seems a little odd, but if you have ever sat around a campfire you'll know what I'm talking about. What is it that draws that "stare" when sitting around a campfire. I laugh when I think about it.

Several times I would look into the fire and get lost in my mind but also hear the conversation that is taking place at the same time. Then I would look up and everyone else around the fire would be in that same trance that I was in.

What causes this? You ever wonder? First, I thought it was the alcohol factor (beer and wine are usually present at campfires), but the kids have the same look and they don't drink. Then I thought it's due to a long, fun day in the sun and most of us are whipped, but during Fall camping trips we have fires all day long, and yet we still have the same look. 

Is it the warmth? Is it the power? Is it the beauty?

I will admit, I always thought the action of hypnosis was questionable, not a big believer. But having been locked into a place that I can't explain, by staring into a fire, it has me thinking. Have you ever been there?

I would love to hear your thoughts on campfire hypnosis, is it real or am I still locked in that place? lol!


4 comments:

  1. Every time I come to your page I feel more relaxed. Your page and your words set a calm atmosphere that I really enjoy. And, I know what you mean. There's something mystically mesmerizing about watching nature. When I think about it, I feel that sense of... shall we call it hypnosis?... every time I exit the city life and see straight ahead of me nothing but nature. It all seems so powerful that I start to feel smaller. But the small feeling never makes me feel insecure. Rather, it reminds me that the Earth is so ...for a lack of words.. so much bigger... so much larger... than myself. I can't seem to think of any problem more important than all that is in front of me. You ever have that feeling?... I recently (late last year) went on my first cruise, and when I looked out at the water I felt that same sense of... of... no words can really describe it. I love this blog. It makes me think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krystal - Renee. I hear every word your saying, nature is so inspiring and "all that is".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well put, Krystal. This blog is incredibly unique, one of the blogs I visit frequently. Great writing and insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so true. i'm so happy that the weather keeps getting better - that means that it's bonfire time soon :)

    ReplyDelete