Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Don't Think

Ahhh, springtime is here and so is the opening of fishing season, in particular trout season. Since I was a kid, on opening day, I always loved to play hooky from school then as I got older, from work. I would head out at day break, sometimes with a buddy, but most years by myself to explore a stream to find a catch to brag about.

I can remember years where I would be fishing in a foot of snow because of a tough winter, yet the brook trout would still be bite'in. Then other years I would have an old pair of sneaks on with shorts and not think twice about jumping in so I could get to all the "good" spots, so I thought.


What's humorous is how excited I was this year to sneak out and fish one of my favorite brookie streams that I fished when I was a kid. It's been years since I walked back in to my "secret" holes (they aren't that secret). When I got there I was struck with a thought, that I wasn't really thinking about anything. Huh, what a great day!

In this blog, there are so many experiences and examples to write about because of the subject...the outdoors. And one of my favorite things I love about the outdoors is that everything slows way down when your enjoying your favorite outdoor activity. Work gets lost, stress gets lost, the run, run, run mentality is lost. You fall back into a place that is so peaceful, sounds weird, but it's because you don't need to think about anything.



Whether its a day on the lake, a bike ride down a back road, a run through the park or watching a sunset at the beach, you'll find that one thing is not required.....a thought.





No comments:

Post a Comment