Saturday, April 21, 2012

We're Good Spenders

As I noted in the previous post, fishing season is here and so was my trip to my local outdoor shop. I went to get some new lures and other miscellaneous items and when I checked out it provoked me to think;

If I just spent $80 on my stuff just for fishing, I wonder what outdoor enthusiast's spend on an annual basis?

Let's take a look at how the outdoor enthusiast helps our economy:

• We contribute $730 billion annually to the U.S. economy
• We support nearly 6.5 million jobs across the U.S.
• We generate $88 billion in annual state and national tax revenue
• We provide sustainable growth in rural communities
• We generate $289 billion annually in retail sales and services across the U.S.
• Our recreation touches over 8 percent of America’s personal consumption expenditures—
more than 1 in every 12 dollars circulating in the economy

Wow! That's impressive. Check out the jobs that are created by the following outdoor activities:

Bicycling  - 1,135,000
Camping - 2,334,000
Fishing - 587,000
Hunting - 323,000
Paddling - 308,000
Snow Sports - 567,000
Trail -716,000
 
Wildlife Viewing - 467,000



 

Indeed, the outdoor enthusiast's passion for the outdoors helps in more ways than one!





 









No comments:

Post a Comment